Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ibu, let's "talk-talk"...

I love my nightly talks with Ayra. Sometimes, when I'm too tired, I tend to make less of an effort but most of the time, it is a relaxing and meaningful way to end the day.
We talk about anything we want. Sometimes I take the opportunity to teach her some good moral values like filial piety and loyalty. At other times, we talk about God.
There was even once when we talked about death and when Granny found out, she wasn't very pleased. She thought I was being morbid. Ayra had asked her about what will happen when Ibu dies (although I had already explained to her) and Grandma was so upset that I had actually broached the subject with a four year old. For me, I'd rather be realistic. You never know when you will die and leave your loved ones, right? If it's fated for me to leave any time soon, I don't want my daughter to think that I chose to leave her but rather that it is my time to be with God.
Anyway, it's not always serious stuff that we talk about. Sometimes, we just want to be silly and we talk about why some people snore and others don't; why she can't marry Spiderman, why Ibu is a girl and Abah is a boy... you get the idea.
The nightly talks are also a good way to "gossip" about her friends at school. She will tell me what happened in school and we will talk about how she feels about a particular person or incident. Our talks can actually be intelectually stimulating (haha) but most of the time, it's just entertaining. It's also a great way to bond.
I pray our nightly talks will continue as long as it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment